The Degree Apprenticeship is a new type of award which combines the workplace learning of a traditional apprenticeship with a higher education qualification such as a B.Sc., B. Eng., or B.A. The apprentice is employed by the company and spends 80% of their time at work. In the remaining 20% of their working week, they complete a degree qualification on a part-time basis.

The Degree Apprenticeship offers a pathway to a recognised qualification and professional competence combined with practical on-the-job experience, offering the opportunity to Earn While You Learn. To apply for a Degree Apprenticeship, the first step is to find an employer offering an apprenticeship and then apply directly to them.  You will need to hold a Level 3 qualification to apply (an A level, for example). Apprentices may be new or existing employees and can be any age.  

Tuition fees are paid by the employer and the government.

UWTSD offers degree apprenticeships in England and Wales funded by ESFA and HEFCW.  The apprentice will complete both a degree and an additional work-based assessment. The courses are validated to ensure that they meet employer requirements.  Validation of our first suite of programmes is currently in progress.   

Higher Apprenticeships are available through Coleg Sir Gar and Coleg Ceredigion.

How to apply

Apprenticeship is advertised by employers; applications should be sent to them.
In England, use the ESFA Find an Apprenticeship site.  You can filter the results to level 6 for Degree Apprenticeships.
In Wales, use the Careers Wales Apprenticeship Search

Degree Apprenticeships available

UWTSD is offering a range of Degree Apprenticeships for 2018-2019 including:

  • Police Constable Integrated Degree Apprenticeship 
  • Ordnance, Munitions and Explosives
  • Applied Software Engineering
  • Applied Data Science
  • Applied Cyber Security Management 

In development for 2019-2020

  • Engineering
  • Advanced Manufacturing 
  • Construction

For employers

UWTSD offers Degree Apprenticeships funded by the Welsh Government and ESFA, and a Registered End Point Assessment Organisation for degree apprenticeships.

Further information

Contact the Apprenticeship Unit

Please note that UWTSD does not handle applications for learners to start an apprenticeship: they must apply to an employer.
01267 676814